Food Poisoning of Shrimps: Symptom, Treatment and Prevention

Shrimps are very delicious and most of us love them regardless if eating shrimps as a shrimp cocktail or as part of an elegant meal. Fresh and well-cooked shrimps should be part of the diet. However, when it comes to contaminated shrimps, shrimp food poisoning will develop, leading to stomach pain and discomfort, nausea and vomiting, diarrhea, etc. Some of the symptoms caused by a food poisoning can be quite severe and even life-threatening ones. How to identify a food poisoning after eating contaminated shrimps?

Symptoms of Food Poisoning from Shrimps

Usually, the signs and symptoms of a food poisoning from shrimps start a couple of hours after consuming them and even up to a few days. The severity of the signs and symptoms depends from one person to the other. Common signs and symptoms of food poisoning from shrimps include:

Causes of Food Poisoning from Shrimps

Shrimps are very popular among seafood. However, a person should be very careful when consuming them. Common causes of shrimp food poisoning include:

Treatment of Food Poisoning from Shrimp


As mentioned, the severity of food poisoning varies from one person to the other. However, if a food poisoning from shrimps is suspected or diagnosed, drinking plenty of fluids, rest and a modification of the diet are necessary. Drinking plenty of fluids is very important as it will prevent a person from getting dehydrated due to nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.

A balanced diet for a couple of days is also important and part of the treatment. Rice, white toast, bananas, apples, or plain yogurt should be consumed during a couple of days until you fully recover. If the signs and symptoms improve, adding other types of food such as boiled potatoes, cooked carrots, crackers, etc., will help you recover faster.


The risk of getting a shrimp food poisoning is greater in cases when you consume shrimps from the buffet line or if you consume raw shrimps. Elderly people, infants, and children, pregnant women, as well as, those who have pre-existing medical conditions have a greater risk of getting a food poisoning. In such cases, it is necessary to contact the healthcare provider immediately.

Even though food poisoning typically resolves on its own within a couple of hours or even days, sometimes the signs and symptoms of a food poisoning can be severe and even life-threatening ones. For this reason, it is very important to get the necessary medical treatment on time.

How to Avoid Food Poisoning from Shrimps

Here are some tips which can be helpful whenever you buy shrimps or order them at a restaurant in order to avoid shrimp food poisoning:

Same Category