It’s amazing what women will do for the coveted thigh gap. The gap or clear space between the thighs is touted as the symbol of the ideal body shape. Some of the measures women are taking are borderline dangerous. Nevertheless, the demand for the elusive thigh gap is so huge that cosmetic procedures targeted at the thighs have increased at unprecedented levels as reported. It’s important to realize that women with an inner thigh gap naturally have wider hips and their legs that are further apart. So, is it possible to naturally and safely achieve the thigh gap if your body isn’t built for it?
Exercises to Get an Inner Thigh Gap
Full body toning exercises are also a great way to achieve your goal. Workouts such as Pilates and Yoga help tone the whole body. Not only do they help to create long lean-looking muscles, they also help improve flexibility. If you want to lose that extra flab and at the same time stay moderately toned, these are the perfect exercises.
Watch the following videos for inner thigh toning exercises and then you can refer to the following points for more tips to get an inner thigh gap.
Video 1: 5 Minute Inner Thigh Workout for Lean Toned Thighs
Video 2: Inner Thigh Exercises for Toning
1. Butterfly Stretching
Butterfly stretching is great for stretching, toning and increasing flexibility.
- Sit on a mat making sure your feet are joined at the soles of your feet.
- Keeping your soles joint, open up your legs.
- Your knees should now be suspended mid.air. Bring them down to the ground.
- Whether your knees touch the ground or not, will depend on your flexibility.
- You should force them to touch the ground.
- You should feel a tightening in your inner thigh muscles.
2. Inner Thigh Firmer
The net effect of this exercise is to make your thighs firm and strong and thus get rid of the excessive fat between your inner thighs.
- Using a rolled up towel to support your head, lie down on your left side.
- Maintain your straight stance on the left side then carefully bring your right leg to the front of your body while bent at the knee.
- Still in this position, lift your left leg off the ground slowly. About 6 inches high is just right.
- Stay in this position for one or two minutes.
- Now bring your left foot down and back up again.
- Repeat this for about 10 to 12 times. Do it for both sides.
- Stand straight with your back against a wall.
- Your legs should be shoulder width apart with your toes pointing outwards.
- Inhale deeply and slowly move into a squatting position.
- Keep your heels on the ground. When squatting, don’t let your knees cross your toes.
- As you come up again, exhale.
- You should do 3 sets, each with 16 reps.
An exercise ball can also come in handy with the squats workout. It should be kept against your back and supported by the wall.
4. Exercise Ball
- While seated on the floor, place an exercise ball between your feet.
- Lie flat on your back with your feet raised off the floor in a vertical position
- Make sure to spread out your arms for balance
- Exhale deeply than squeeze your feet together
- Count to 5 while in this position
- Inhale deeply and then release the pressure on the ball
- Count to two while in this relaxed state and repeat the process
- Do ten reps
- Put your feet together with your hands at your hips.
- Straighten out your right leg and move it to your side while keeping it on the ground.
- Shift your weight to your left foot.
- With the left leg remaining stretched out, bend your right leg at the knee.
- Push off the weight on the left foot while bringing the right foot back to the starting point.
- Do the same for the other side. 8 to 10 sets will do.
6. Leg Circles
- With your legs stretched out, lie on your back.
- Keeping your left leg stretched out, lift the right one as high as you can into the air. It should preferably point to the ceiling.
- With the lifted leg, trace out five circles both clockwise and anticlockwise while keeping your hips on the ground.
- After 3 – 5 reps switch to the left leg and vice versa.
Diet and Lifestyle Changes to Get an Inner Thigh Gap
1. Limit Intake of Calories
Any calories you eat are either converted to energy that’s consumed by your body or stored as fat. If you want to lose the flab on your thighs, you should cut down on your calorie intake or work out to burn the calories. A combination of both will work best.
2. Reduce Dairy Products
Dairy products are loaded fat and calories. This is bad for weight loss. However, these foods are very nutritious as they contain protein, some B vitamins, calcium and zinc. You should, therefore, not avoid dairy products completely but instead cut down on them. You can opt for low fat alternatives such as skimmed milk, reduced fat cheeses, and low fat yogurts.
3. Cut off Junk Food
You’ll need to give up junk foods. If possible avoid them completely. They don’t add any value to your body. They’ll just hamper your weight loss progress.
4. Record What You Eat
Keep a record of what you eat. Should you need to make changes to your diet, you’ll have a point of reference.
5. Drink Plenty of Water
Water is good for your body. Drink it in plenty. Dehydration is known to slow down the fat burning process.